Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Valentine to the World

Tomorrow is Valentine's day, a holiday created by Hallmark for sure. Don't misunderstand, I'm a Libra, the sign of partnership and I am about as romantic and dreamy a girl as they come. But for me Valentines day is right up there with New Year's Eve for feeling forced and un-natural. Are we really that far gone that we need to be reminded, once a year to say I love you? What about the other 364 days? This strikes me as particularly ironic, because I truly believe that LOVE is the whole reason for our existence, the meaning of life I guess you could say. I think that when we leave this physical plane what will ultimately matter is not how much money we made, how famous we were, or how many fancy cars we owned. I think the true measure of our success as a human being will be "What was the quality of your love?" Because I believe this, the idea that we should "celebrate" love only one measly day a year seems really out of whack!

As I wrote in my last post, recent events have made me stop and realize how important it is to be fully present in each moment, for we never know when it will be our last. This goes for our relationships too. Life is short, no matter how long you live. You could be gone tomorrow, and even more importantly those you love could be gone tomorrow too. Even more reason to express your love, your appreciation, how wonderful, beautiful and precious your lover, friend, child, sister, brother, father, mother is to you, as often and as fully as you can. If you have love un-expressed in your heart, what are you waiting for?

As I'm thinking about tomorrow, and what it means, I am feeling incredibly blessed to have SO much love in my life, every day, not just on February 14th. So many friends; girl-friends, guy-friends, work-friends, old friends, new friends, soul-friends, family-of-the-heart-friends. My beloved related-by-blood-family. And last but certainly not least, the one who loves me the most and unconditionally, my sweet Gallup. I truly have an embarrassment of riches in the love department!

This year is the best Valentine's day yet, because I am learning what a never-ending well-spring of love I have in my own heart. When I am able to remove my fears that block it, love just keeps bubbling up. I am learning that at our core we are all beings of pure love and light, wrapped in these frail human bodies for the blink of an eye. We are all divine sparks of Spirit, temporarily wearing suits of flesh in order to experience the physical world. Our egos trick us into seeing ourselves as separate and individual, but actually this is an illusion. We are like spokes of the same wheel, all connected to the Source of the Light. "You are not a human being having a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being having a human experience." By loving you, I am loving myself, and vice-versa. I am learning that I am loveable. I am loving. I AM love!!

This Valentine's day I am having a love affair with life, with the Universe, with Spirit. And by doing so I'm having a love affair with the whole world, because we are really all One. I hope wherever you are, whatever you are doing, you are feeling the LOVE!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment