Sunday, June 10, 2012

Can you imagine?


I believe we come into this world as little bundles of pure light, love, and joy. "A little sack of sugar", as one of our aunties used to call my baby brother. As small children we are free and innocent of fear, knowing only joyfulness and playfulness, feeling love for everyone and having to be taught the concept of a "stranger". Our parents love us as only parents can, but they are also human beings with their own flaws and issues. Just as we inherit our hair and eye color, our height, blood and body type, it seems inevitable that we also inherit some of their emotional issues, that were usually handed down from their parents and grandparents.

Most of us live our entire lives with a self-image that was created by others, usually when we were too young to understand or question what was happening. If there was a parent who was unhappy with themselves, or very fearful, that was projected onto us as children causing us to feel that it was somehow our fault, that we must therefore be bad or imperfect or "not enough", making us ultimately unlovable, or unworthy of love. I am learning that the secret to happiness is "unlearning" these deeply ingrained beliefs, uncovering them for what they truly are, a pack of lies that my egocentric child's mind misunderstood and mistook for "truth". And through this process of uncovering what I am not, I am discovering the truth about who I am. I am not my body. I am not even my mind, or my thoughts, or my feelings. I am the one inside this body, looking out through these eyes. I am the one observing my thoughts passing through my mind, like clouds floating across a blue sky.  I am my soul, the "higher self", the part of me that remains the same as it was the day I was born, a being of pure light, love, and joy.

As I begin to understand this truth about myself, I am able to more easily see the love, light and joy in others as well. My capacity for empathy and compassion is expanding in direct proportion to this understanding. For years I have said that dogs and cats are "pure love, wrapped in fur" and "angels wearing dog/cat costumes." Now I realize we are ALL angelic beings, visitors to this earthly plane, having this human experience, challenged to learn to return to our divine essence. It has finally dawned on me that I am pure light and love, wearing a "human costume" for this brief time!

I think our biggest challenge in life is to understand this concept, and to return to the innocent, love-filled state that is our true nature, at our deepest core. To unlearn the fear that dominates our thinking, usually without our even being aware. We've been taught to be afraid, that we're not good enough, smart enough, attractive enough, or just plain not enough!

What would the world be like if we all came to this realization, simultaneously? If we all grasped the concept of our true nature, and that as sparks of the divine, we are actually all One? Like rays of the same Sun, or drops of water in an ocean wave, we cannot be separate from each other, it is only our human mind/ego that perceives it to be so. Imagine what the world would be like if we all woke up and realized that everything we think is real is an illusion. Imagine how things would be, how people would act if we finally understood that LOVE is all there is.

"You are not a human being having a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being having a human experience." Just imagine if we all truly understood this......just imagine.

Sending you love and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment