Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Getting Into the Holiday SPIRIT


I love the Christmas holiday season. I love the beautiful lights, the festive music, and feeling the "holiday spirit". This phrase means different things to different people, and I've been thinking about what it means to me. I love this season because it is a time of joy, mystery and wonder. I don't consider myself religious, but I do think the story of the birth of the baby Jesus is a wondrous one; people being mysteriously drawn to a stable on a cold, starry night in Bethlehem. Kings and wise men led by angels and a shining star to bring gifts of incredible value, and to kneel down in reverence before a baby born to a humble family in a manger.

Then there's Santa Claus, who is definitely mysterious. He hides out at the North Pole 364 days a year with elves, has some way of knowing if you've been naughty or nice, and uses magic to make his reindeer fly, and to get into your house while you're sleeping!  Santa loves the children of the world so much he has devoted his life to making their wishes come true on Christmas Day.

The holidays are traditionally a time of peace and harmony, and the feeling that all is right with the world. It's the time of year when our thoughts turn to love and giving. We become "heart-centered" beings, instead of "ego-centered", and we devote ourselves like Santa, to bringing joy to those we love, and to helping those less fortunate than ourselves. It's a wonderful yearly reminder to "reset" our thoughts to love, especially needed in light of recent events in the world.

I love the innocence of this season, the idea that anything is possible, if you only believe. For me the true meaning of "holiday spirit" is that magic and miracles really do exist. This time of year is a time to dream, and to believe that those dreams, no matter how large, really can come true.

Wishing you and yours a wondrous, joyful, love-filled holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment